Today, April 26, is National Pretzel Day! I’ll take any old reason to celebrate, especially when there are salty snacks are involved.
How did the lowly and oft overlooked pretzel get it’s start? I took a little cruise around the internet and found that most agree the first pretzels were created around 600 AD by Catholic monks using left over dough which was twisted into the pretzel knot we know today. Some say the knot shape symbolized The Holy Trinity, and others say it represented arms folded in prayer. Either way, hooray for the monk with leftover scraps of dough!
If you want a FREE!!! pretzel today, head on over to the mall because Pretzelmaker is giving free pretzels to any brave souls who will sing or dance for their reward (or for those more reserved and equally deserving patrons, just say, “National Pretzel Day”).
Here are some easy and clever pretzel recipes to help you celebrate National Pretzel Day… G0 right ahead and live it up a little (or a lot), you choose.
1. Line a cookie sheet with foil. Place pretzels on foil.
2. Put an unwrapped rolo on each pretzel.
3. Bake at 250* for about 4 minutes until chocolate becomes soft.
4. Place a pecan half on top after removing from oven. Cool and ENJOY!
- 1 pkg. Ranch dressing mix
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3.4 cup olive oil
- 1 bag hard pretzels broken into bite sized pieces
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2, Mix the first four ingredients together and pour it over bite sized pretzels. Toss until pretzels are evenly coated.
3. Bake for 10 minutes, stir and bake for 8 more minutes. Let cool and serve. ENJOY!
So go on and celebrate National Pretzel Day!