1.According to popular legend, where did the male “tom” turkey get its name?
A. The popular Tom and Jerry Show.
B. Benjamin Franklin named it after Thomas Jefferson when he would not allow it to be the national bird.
C. A tom cat. Wild turkeys were just like wild cats back then. They would roam around and get into fights all the time.
2.What foods were served at the first thanksgiving?
E. Boiled pumpkin
G. A, B, and E
H. A, C, D, and F
3. What Indian tribe was invited to spend thanksgiving with the pilgrims?
C. Red Sox
4. What is a baby turkey called?
A. A chick
B. A squab
C. A poult
D. A goblet
5. What was the name of the Indian chief that helped the pilgrims survive the winter?
D. Sitting Bull
6. What vegetable did the pilgrims have available for thanksgiving but did not use because they thought it was poisonous?
7. Who was the first president to pardon a turkey from thanksgiving dinner?
8. What percentage of pilgrims who sailed on the mayflower survived to celebrate thanksgiving?
9. What does cornucopia mean?
A. Horn of plenty.
B. The goddesses’ blessings.
C. May your table always be full and your friends many.
10. The original thanksgiving lasted how long?
A. 2 months
B. 14 days
C. 7 days
D. 3 days
Thanksgiving Trivia Answers:
1. B, Benjamin Franklin named it after Thomas Jefferson when he would not allow it to be the national bird.
2. G, A. B. and E. – Deer, Codfish and boiled pumpkin. (The pilgrims had no ovens to bake bread and no sugar or milk when thanksgiving came around. Their food supply that they came with was very low.)
3. B, Wampanoag
4. C, A poult
5. A, Massasoit
6. D, Potatoes
7. A, Truman
8. A, 50%
9. A, Horn of plenty
10. D, 3 days
Filed under: Headline, Let's Celebrate · Tags: better home magazine, coffee break, coffee break with liz and kate, coffeebreak, dinner, facts, food, holidays, pilgrims, thanksgiving, thanksgiving trivia, turkey trivia